At Smiles & Beyond Denture Clinic, we strive to educate our patients. Patient education is important. It is crucial for patients to understand what to expect from dentures and the reality of life as a denture patient. We have provided a downloadable version of the form you will receive at the consultation appointment.
Caring for your dentures on a regularly can elevate your sense of well-being and complement your appearance. In addition, clean dentures can help keep the tissues in your mouth healthy and free from unfavorable changes. Smiles & Beyond Denture Clinic has fabricated your dentures using high quality materials and it is extremely important that you maintain proper care to get the best service out of your new smile. Using a denture brush along with warm water and mild dish soap is the safest and most effective method to clean your dentures. If done daily, this alone will probably keep your dentures clean and free from damage. If there are persistent accumulations and/or stains that are difficult to remove, overnight immersion using a commercial "denture cleanser" is recommended.
Maintaining Partial Dentures
1. Clean the denture daily using a denture brush, warm water and mild dish soap. *Regular toothpastes are not recommended for brushing your denture. Toothpaste will abrade and contribute to the loss of luster of the denture teeth and base.*
2. Clean your natural teeth thoroughly with a toothbrush, toothpaste, special toothpicks, or interdental brushes to remove plaque. Do not forget to gently brush the parts of the gums that are covered by the denture.
3. Unless your Denturist at Smiles & Beyond Denture Clinic has instructed you otherwise, you should not wear your partial denture overnight.
Maintaining Full Dentures
1. Rinse the denture and your mouth without the denture with water after every meal.
2. Clean the denture daily using a denture brush, warm water and mild dish soap. *Regular toothpastes are not recommended for brushing your denture. Toothpaste will abrade and contribute to the loss of luster of the denture teeth and base.*
3. Carefully brush the denture teeth and the inner surfaces of the denture, for about two minutes. In addition, lightly brush your gums using a soft brush.
4. After brushing thoroughly, rinse the denture under running water.
5. Unless your Denturist at Smiles & Beyond Denture Clinic has instructed you to do otherwise, you should not wear your denture overnight. This enables the tissue supporting the denture to recover.
6. You should keep your denture moist when you are not wearing it. Complete dentures may be immersed in a commercial denture cleaning solution as well.
7. Rinse the denture under running water before wearing it.
Simply immersing your denture in a cleaning solution is inadequate for removing the bacteria that live in plaque. You must brush your denture every day.
• Do not immerse your denture in pure alcohol or bleach or clean it with substances of this kind.
• Do not use detergents or dishwashing agents.
• Never clean your denture with hot or boiling water this may distort the shape of your denture.
• If you notice stubborn signs of plaque on your denture (eg dental calculus), ask your Denturist at Smiles & Beyond Denture Clinic to clean the denture professionally. Scraping with tools may damage the denture.
At Smiles & Beyond Denture Clinic, we offer professional cleaning for your dentures. In our office, we carry special tools and solutions to make your denture like new again.
Dentures made at Smiles & Beyond Denture Clinic in Edmonton are customized for you.
Your denture has been specially fabricated for your mouth. Your denture will retain its shape, while your mouth will undergo certain changes. As a result, you should have the fit of your denture checked by your Denturist at Smiles & Beyond Denture Clinic periodically, you may require a reline. If you encounter discomfort, call our office for an adjustment. Do not try to resolve the problem yourself, as you may damage your dentures as well as harm your teeth and gums. Regarding adhesives, use only according to the directions of your Denturist for a fixed period of time.
Contact our office today if you have more questions about the services at our denture clinic. (780) 761-3434.